Discover a collection of more exclusive recipes in both of Lee's books,
A Well-Seasoned Kitchen and Fresh Tastes. Order Now
I love these fresh Tomatoes Stuffed with Artichoke Hearts, Onions and Bacon – they are so fresh and full of flavor!
My mom often served stuffed tomatoes as part of a dinner party menu. When prepared properly, stuffed tomatoes are not only delicious they are also pretty on the plate, adding a pop of color to make the whole meal look even more appetizing. Toward the end of summer when her garden was overflowing with juicy, flavorful tomatoes, mom would often serve this version – stuffed with mixture of artichoke hearts, celery, green onion, Parmesan cheese and mayo, then topped off with crispy crumbled bacon. Yum! Colorful, fresh, crunchy, full of flavor – what more could you ask for, except maybe something chocolate-y for dessert? Enjoy!
- 2 cups canned artichoke hearts in water, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 to 8 medium tomatoes
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the artichoke hearts, mayonnaise, celery, onion and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut the top off the tomatoes and scoop out the insides (a grapefruit spoon works well), making sure not to cut through the sides or the bottom. Turn upside down and place on paper towel to drain for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the insides with salt and pepper. Stuff with artichoke mixture. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.