Discover a collection of more exclusive recipes in both of Lee's books,
A Well-Seasoned Kitchen and Fresh Tastes. Order Now (Free Standard Shipping)
Veggie Fries with Lemon-Garlic Aioli are a wonderful alternative to French fries. Large Portobello mushroom and zucchini wedges are dusted with flour, dipped in beaten egg, coated with a mixture of Italian breadcrumbs and fresh Parmesan cheese, and then fried until crispy and golden brown. They pair beautifully with a lemon and garlic spiked aioli (mayonnaise) on the side. Easy to prepare, made with readily available ingredients – and scrumptious!
A few notes:
- You can use just all zucchini wedges, all mushrooms, or a mixture with yellow squash as well.
- In addition to serving the Veggie Fries as a side dish, I have also made these delectable wedges ahead of time (see instructions in the Note below) and passed them as an appetizer at a cocktail party. Everyone loved them!
- I recommend letting the aioli sit for around an hour before serving – it’s gives the flavors a chance to blend. Any leftover is great on sandwiches or turkey burgers, too!
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 medium zucchini
- Vegetable oil
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, parsley, garlic and lemon juice to make the aioli. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use (best if the aioli sits for at least one hour).
- Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
- In a third shallow dish, stir together the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Stem the mushrooms and scrape out the dark gills on the inside (I like to use a grapefruit spoon). Cut off the rough edges around the rim. Slice into ½-inch wedges.
- Slice off the ends of the zucchini, cut in half horizontally, and cut each half into ½-inch wedges.
- Toss the mushroom and zucchini wedges in the flour to coat evenly, shaking off excess. Coat in egg mixture then roll in bread crumb mixture to coat.
- In a large frying pan, pour oil to depth of around 1 inch and heat over medium-high heat. Fry veggie fries until dark golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and serve with the garlic aioli on the side.