- 8 plum (Roma or Italian) tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup + 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 8 cups baby arugula leaves
- 8 ounces fresh buffalo mozzarella
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata (or other type) black olives, cut in half if large
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut tomatoes in half crosswise. Trim bottoms so they can sit upright. Gently squeeze out seeds.
- Place tomatoes, cut side up, on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with rosemary, thyme and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Drizzle 4 teaspoons of olive oil over the tomatoes.
- Roast for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While tomatoes are roasting, prepare the dressing: in a jar with a fitted lid, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup olive oil. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Bring to room temperature before using.
- When ready to serve the salad, toss some of the dressing with the arugula, salt and pepper; arrange on a large serving platter.
- Top with roasted tomatoes, roasted side up.
- Gently cut cheese into slices (and then cut in half if large) and arrange around the tomatoes on the arugula.
- Sprinkle with olives and drizzle with more dressing.
- Season with more salt and pepper as needed.
Make ahead: Tomatoes can be roasted earlier in the day and kept at room temperature until serving. Balsamic dressing can be made several days ahead and stored in a closed jar in the refrigerator.
- Category: Salads, side dish
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: Mediterranean