(From “A Well-Seasoned Kitchen®” by Sally Clayton and Lee Clayton Roper)
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 pounds red snapper, tilapia or halibut fillets (see buying tips here)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the fish fillets in one layer (preferably one that can double as a serving dish).
- Cover the bottom of the prepared dish with the shredded lettuce. Place the fish on top of the lettuce. If using individual fillets instead of one large piece, you can slightly overlap the fillets to fit them in the pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the mixture evenly on top of the fish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and the topping is lightly browned. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Make ahead: Fish can be prepared but not baked earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking.