- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chicken base (I like organic “Better than Bouillon” brand)
- 8 cups water
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces egg noodles
- In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add chopped celery, carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in chicken base and water; bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain, reserving a bit of pasta water. Place noodles in a medium bowl and toss with a small amount of reserved water – enough to coat the noodles (this will keep noodles from sticking together). Set aside.
- Stir parsley, thyme and cooked chicken into broth and simmer just until chicken is heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper (may not need much salt).
- Divide cooked noodles between 8 individual soup bowls. Ladle hot soup over the top. Serve immediately.
Storing: It’s important to store the noodles separate from the soup, to keep them from getting mushy. I put them in a zip top baggie, and the soup in a separate sealed container. They both will last around 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
To freeze: place the prepared soup (without the noodles) in an airtight container, refrigerate until cold, then freeze. Soup will last around 2 months. The cooked egg noodles can also be frozen in a freezer-safe zip top baggie for up to 1 month, but note that they can become mushy and/or stick together when thawed.
Tip: To keep noodles from sticking together, DON’T add oil to the water! Instead, reserve some pasta water and toss drained noodles with the water.
- Category: Soups, healthy, easy
- Method: cooktop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowlful
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 496.2 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.5 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 12.3 g
- Cholesterol: 54.2 mg