- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces milk chocolate (such as Hershey brand), broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 10 by 15-inch rimmed baking sheet (see Note below).
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until well mixed and light in color.
- With the mixer running, add the egg yolk and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add the salt and flour and beat just until blended.
- Spread in prepared pan and top with a piece of waxed paper. Push down on the paper to spread the dough evenly in the pan. Remove the paper and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cooking are baking, in a small glass bowl melt chocolate in a microwave oven (do not overheat or it can turn white).
- Remove cookie base from oven and immediately spread chocolate over top. Sprinkle with chopped pecans, pressing down lightly to make sure they adhere to the chocolate.
- Let cool until the chocolate hardens (I put it in the refrigerator for around 1 hour).
- Cut into bars and serve.
Baking dish: You can also make these cookies in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish; increase cook time by 5 to 10 minutes.
How to store: Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They’ll last for around 4 to 5 days (but they’re always eaten up before then in my house!). Bring to room temperature before serving. They can also be frozen in an airtight container, for up to 1 month.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American