- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- juice and zest from 2 navel oranges
- boiling water
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cranberries, picked over before chopping (an 8-ounce bag)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9-by-5 inch (or 3 5 1/2-by-3 inch) loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk together shortening, butter, orange juice and orange zest. Stir in enough boiling water to equal 1 1/2 cups total liquid. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Slowly whisk beaten eggs into liquid mixture. Stir liquids into dry ingredients just until combined; do not overmix. Fold in cranberries and walnuts. (Batter will be thick.)
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans; smooth top. Bake for 40 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert out of pan and place on a rack to cool completely. Store, well wrapped, in the refrigerator.
High altitude: no adjustments are required.
Make ahead: loaves can be well wrapped and frozen for up to 2 months.
- Category: Bread, breakfast and brunch, easy recipes, easy entertaining