This super flavorful Easy Marinara Sauce calls for only 6 ingredients and is the perfect homemade alternative to purchased pasta sauces! Easy to prepare, it only takes around 35 to 40 minutes total. So fresh tasting, and it can be made up to 5 days in advance.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 32 to 36 ounces jarred Italian tomatoes with basil, undrained – see Note below
- A few glugs of red wine, to taste
- Dried Italian seasoning, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, around 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, wine and Italian seasoning. Bring to a low boil and cook for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat to cool a bit.
- Place in a food processor and pulse 4 to 5 times; don’t purée. Season to taste with salt and pepper (takes a fair amount of salt).
Make ahead: Marinara Sauce can be stored in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Note on tomatoes: 2 (18.7 ounce) jars Masseria Mirogallo Pomodori Pelati work perfectly. If you can’t find them, try to use other jarred or canned Italian peeled tomatoes. Another brand I recommend is Cento San Marzano, which can be found in many grocery stores. Add a few large fresh basil leaves if there aren’t any in your tomatoes.