A super easy pasta dish to prepare on a busy day, Quick Eggplant and Mushroom Pappardelle from my husband Robert is a crowd-pleaser! A bit sweet, a bit spicy, a bit earthy – it has a mouth-watering combination of flavors.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 medium green (or red) bell peppers, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms (cremini, shiitake or a mix all work)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta, or other wide noodles
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, drained (if in water) and coarsely chopped
- shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the eggplant and red pepper flakes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in green pepper (if using), onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook vegetables are very soft, around 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cook the pasta per package directions (see my tips on Cooking Perfect Pasta). Drain and set aside.
- Drain any excess oil off the vegetables. Add the mozzarella cheese and gently toss.
- Place pasta in shallow serving dish (or individual bowls), top with eggplant mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley and serve immediately.