Frozen Brandy Alexander Pie is super easy to prepare ahead, calling for only 8 ingredients. Simply blend vanilla ice cream, brandy, softened gelatin and crème de cacao, spoon on a cinnamon-graham cracker crust, and freeze. Top with ground nutmeg when serving, and you have a pretty, absolutely amazing dessert.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 6 to 8 tablespoons brandy
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 quarts good quality vanilla ice cream, softened
- 6 to 8 tablespoons crème de cacao
- Ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cookie crumbs and cinnamon. Mix in the melted butter with your hands. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Place the brandy in a small saucepan and sprinkle gelatin over the top. Let sit for 5 to 7 minutes, then place over low heat. Heat, stirring, just until the gelatin is dissolved (shouldn’t need to bring brandy to a boil). Set aside to cool a bit.
- With an electric blender, blend together the ice cream, brandy mixture and crème do cacao. You made need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender. Pour into the prepared crust, wrap in foil and freeze overnight. Sprinkle top with nutmeg before serving.
Note: This dessert only needs to sit a room temperature a few minutes before removing the springform ring and cutting into pieces – the alcohol keeps it from freezing very hard.
Gluten free: Use gluten-free graham cracker crumbs.
Make ahead: The dessert can be made up to 1 month ahead and kept in the freezer.
Tip: It is easiest to remove the ring and cut any frozen dessert with a knife that has been warmed under hot running water and then dried. Rewarm knife during cutting process as needed.