Golden Potatoes (Twice Baked Potato Casserole) is an easy to prepare, crowd-pleasing side dish that can be made ahead of time. Baked potatoes are shredded, combined with butter, Cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onion, and baked with a breadcrumb topping. So easy, so scrumptious!!
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 2 large) Idaho (russet) potatoes
- 2 to 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (regular or low fat)
- 1 cup sour cream (regular or low fat)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup green onions, chopped (white, light green and some dark green part)
- 1/2 cup panko or homemade bread crumbs
- Paprika, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and pierce them in several places with a fork. Tear off a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around each potato. Place 1 potato in the middle of one piece of foil. Pull up the edges of the foil around the potato, but do not completely cover. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Wrap the potato completely. Repeat with the remaining potato. Place potatoes in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 25 minutes.
- Rotate potatoes and continue cooking for an additional 25 minutes or until fork tender but not soft. Cool and shred in a food processor – or coarsely chop by hand. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Butter or spray a 7-by-11 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add grated cheese and cook, stirring, until almost melted. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, onions, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add potatoes and stir lightly. Turn into prepared dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and mix with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle on top of potato mixture, then sprinkle lightly with paprika, and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
Gluten free: Use gluten free breadcrumbs.
Make ahead: Potatoes can be prepared, but not baked, earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking.
To freeze: Casserole can be prepared not baked, cooled, wrapped tightly and frozen for up to 2 months. Alternatively you can pre-bake before freezing. Reduce cook time to 20 minutes, so it doesn’t dry out when reheating. Thaw in refrigerator before baking or reheating.
Variation: Spoon prepared potato mixture into 6 (6-ounce) greased ramekins. Sprinkle top with buttered breadcrumbs. Reduce baking time by 5 minutes.