Puréed Green Pea Soup is bright, light and fresh – in fact, it tastes just like Spring! Unusual and impressive, the combination of fresh (or frozen) green peas, butter lettuce (yes, lettuce!), onion, bouillon, cream, and a bit of butter is divine. Served warm, this creamy soup is the perfect starter for an elegant spring lunch or dinner.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions (around 1 medium)
- 2 cups fresh shelled green peas – see Note below for substitutions and more
- 1 cup chopped butter (Boston or bibb) lettuce (1 head)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon concentrate – see Note below
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup half and half (can also use whole milk)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (or pea tendrils if you can find them)
- Spray a large sauté or sauce pan with nonstick spray. Add olive oil and heat over medium heat. When hot, add onions and cook until soft and starting to turn a light golden color.
- Add peas and stir to combine. Stir in lettuce and cook for 5 minutes. Add water and beef bouillon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the peas are very soft. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm (in the broth).
- Place mixture in a food processor or blender (may need to be done in 2 batches) and purée until finely mixed.
- Pour mixture back into same saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Stir in butter until melted. Add cream and heat just until hot. Season to taste with kosher salt. Serve immediately, garnishing with chopped chives (including flowers if available).
Note on green peas: For this recipe, you can use fresh shelled English (garden) peas or sugar snap peas. If you can’t find good fresh peas, you can also use 1 10-ounce package frozen – no need to thaw.
Note on beef bouillon: I like the Better Than Bouillon organic brand. You can substitute chicken or vegetable broth, but I think the beef version adds the most depth of flavor without overpowering the soup.
Make ahead: soup can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated. Reheat over medium-low heat.
Keywords: easy soups, starters, fresh peas