Note: this recipe contains raw egg. Consuming raw egg may increase the risk of foodborne illness. If you prefer, cook the egg in 140-degree water for 3 minutes before using.
- 2 medium to large garlic cloves
- 3 to 5 anchovy fillets (around 1/3 to 1/2 of a 2-ounce can) – see Note below
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping teaspoon granulated chicken broth or bouillon – see Note below
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Juice from 1/2 to 1 lemon, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a blender, combine garlic, anchovies, egg, Dijon mustard, broth granules, Worcestershire sauce, juice from 1/2 lemon and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a measuring cup, combine oils. With the blender running, slowly add the oil mixture. (If the dressing comes out runny, it probably means you added the oil too fast. It should be a drizzle as you pour it in).
- Taste and add more lemon juice as needed. Season to taste with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
Gluten free: Use gluten-free granulated chicken bouillon/broth and gluten-free Worcestershire sauce.
Make ahead: Dressing can be made up to 3 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. If you precook the eggs before adding (see note in recipe header), it could last another day or two.
Note on anchovies: The flavor of whole anchovies will be stronger than mashed anchovy from a tube, as the latter has vinegar and spices added that make the fish flavor milder. In my opinion, Caesar Dressing tastes best using whole anchovies. However, if all you can find is anchovy paste in a tube, I would start with around 2 teaspoons, and add more to taste.
Note on granulated chicken broth: One packet (4g) of Herb-Ox Granulated Chicken Bouillon works perfectly. If you can’t find granulated chicken broth, smash a bouillon cube into small bits.
- Category: salad dressing, side dish
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 102
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 89.3 mg
- Fat: 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
Keywords: salad dressing, garlic, anchovies, lemon