Mashed Potatoes with Chives and Parsley are comfort food at its best. Creamy, smooth and flavorful, with a bit of color, too.
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf ) parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot and cover with salted water by at least 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are very tender when poked with a fork, around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain; return to pot and put over high heat, shaking pan, to dry potatoes.
- Remove from heat and mash potatoes. Mash or stir in cold butter until melted.
- Heat milk in microwave (or on stove top) until very hot but not boiling. Stir hot milk into mashed potatoes.
- Stir in parsley and chives.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Can be kept warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Make ahead: Potatoes can be made earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated. Rewarm over medium-low heat.