- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 package (17.25 ounce) frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 3 cups shredded sharp French Cantal cheese (can also use Cheddar cheese)
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the chili powder, brown sugar, cayenne and salt. Set aside.
- Sprinkle work surface with 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and on top roll out one sheet of puff pastry into a 12-inch square. Sprinkle with half of spice mixture and 1 1/2 cups cheese, pressing down on cheese. Roll up from opposite sides into the center, pressing two rolls together. Repeat procedure with second pastry sheet. Wrap pastry rolls in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut pastry rolls crosswise into 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices and arrange 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Make ahead: Rolls can be made up to chilling point and then frozen for up to one month. Thaw in refrigerator for 2 hours before baking.