Refreshing and brightly flavored, Chopped Shrimp Salad with Rice and Avocado is a perfect dish for lunch or light dinner on a warm summer day. The base of this delectable cold rice salad is briny shrimp, creamy avocado, crunchy cashews, tangy chopped green apple, cooked rice and a bit of green onion. But the best part is the surprisingly simple, 3-ingredient dressing – mayo, sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and pungent, earthy curry powder. The resulting combination of all these ingredients is a cold salad with warm, peppy flavors that will make your taste buds dance!
- 1 1/2 pounds small to medium shrimp, cooked, shelled (tails removed), deveined and patted dry
- 1 3/4 cups cooked long grain white or brown rice (can also use basmati white or brown rice)
- 1 1/2 large green (Granny Smith) apples, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup salted cashews, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion – white, light green and some of the dark green portion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup sour cream (can also use Greek yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder or more, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large just ripe avocado
- Coarsely chop shrimp if not bite-size. In a large mixing bowl, toss shrimp, rice, apple, cashews and green onion.
- In a separate, small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream and curry powder.
- Gently stir 1/2 of the mayo curry sauce into shrimp mixture until well mixed. Stir in additional sauce as needed, to taste. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chill salad for 3 to 12 hours.
- Shortly before serving, peel, pit and chop avocado. Fold into salad. Taste and adjust seasonings (salt, pepper, curry powder) to taste.
- To serve, mound on a serving platter or bowl. If desired, line the platter/bowl with lettuce leaves. Can also serve as stuffed pita sandwiches (see Note below.)
Variation as pita sandwiches: Cut 3 large pita rounds in half. Carefully pry open. Gently spoon 1/6 of salad into each half, for a total of 6 sandwiches.
Make ahead: The salad can be made earlier in the day and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
To serve 8 to 10 people: Add another 1/2 pound shrimp, 1/4 cup cooked rice and 1/2 apple.
What to do with leftover curry sauce: You will likely have leftover curry-mayonnaise sauce from this recipe. Cover and refrigerate; it will last for 4 days. Spread on a fresh fish filet (like halibut or swordfish) and grill fish over medium heat. Sprinkle cooked fish with chopped fresh herbs (whatever you have on hand – chives, tarragon, parsley, dill, etc.). Two dishes from one recipe!