(See gluten-free adaptations in the Notes section at the bottom of the recipe.)
- 2 cups loosely packed, flaked smoked rainbow or brown trout, skin removed (around 10 to 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (use half and half as a substitute)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (or more to taste)
- Mix all ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper (careful with the salt – you don’t need much due to the smoky flavor).
- Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- For a nice presentation, pack it into a pretty serving bowl or mound it in the middle of a small serving platter.Or, pipe onto toasted bread rounds (or stars) and garnish with dill.
- Serve with crackers.
Make ahead: Paté can be made 2 to 3 days ahead, covered and stored in the refrigerator. Can also be frozen.
Gluten free: serve with gluten-free crackers.
- Category: appetizers, easy entertaining,
- Method: Blender, no bake