This Turkey and Mushroom Pie is an easy to prepare, healthy and clever way to use up leftovers, including roast turkey (or chicken) and rice. Fill a spinach-brown rice crust with turkey, onions and cheese, then top with a curry-spiked mushroom gravy.
- 1 package (9 or 10-ounce) frozen chopped spinach
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (see Note)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces baby Bella (also called cremini) mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup skim or 2 percent milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar, Monterey Jack and/or Colby Jack cheese (I like to use a mixture)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (white, light and some of the dark green portion)
- Butter a 9-inch deep dish pie pan.
- Thaw spinach and drain well, pressing out all liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, using a fork stir together spinach and cooked rice.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and stir into rice mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Press over the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie pan. Chill for around 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, curry powder, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and Dijon mustard. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until moisture evaporates and mushrooms are starting to turn golden.
- Reduce heat to low, sprinkle flour mixture over the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Slowly pour in the milk mixture, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring, until sauce is just beginning to thicken (don’t cook until really thick). Turn off heat and season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Take brown rice crust out of refrigerator. Spread chopped turkey evenly over crust. Top with grated cheese and chopped onion. Spread mushroom sauce evenly over the top and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until pie is hot and bubbly.
Make ahead: Pie can be prepared but not baked earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking. Can also be baked, wrapped and frozen for up to 1 month.
Note on rice: I like to use 1 (8.5-ounce) packet of Seeds of Change Basmati Brown Rice.