(See gluten-free adaptations in the Notes section at the bottom of the recipe.)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic or shallots
- 1/4 cup (1/4 large) chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups (2 large) chopped leeks, white and light green parts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (2 large) peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup packed chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup half and half
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Ground white pepper
- Garnish: thinly sliced radish, chopped fresh chives
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic (or shallots), onion and leeks. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 to 7 minutes or until soft and the leeks are just beginning to turn brown. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cucumber, spinach and potato. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, uncover and cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in leek mixture and half and half. Purée with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in 2 batches and purée until smooth. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and ground white pepper.
- Cover and chill for several hours. Adjust seasonings, as needed. Serve cold; garnish servings with thinly sliced radishes and chopped chives.
Gluten free: Use gluten-free chicken stock.
Make ahead: Soup can be made up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.
- Category: Chilled Soups, Gluten Free, Easy Entertaining
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American