Quick and easy to prepare with only 6 ingredients, these vibrant and scrumptious Goat Cheese, Pesto and Tomato Crostini are a family favorite. When short on time, serve as a layered dip with toasted bread on the side.
- 1 loaf Ciabatta or other Italian bread, sliced about 1/2-inch thick
- 8 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto (see Tip below)
- 6 to 8 large Roma or plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut bread slices into 1- to 2-inch pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until toasted and light golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine goat cheese and cream cheese, stirring just until smooth (don’t over-mix or it will become runny).
- Spread mixture on toast pieces. Top with pesto. Sprinkle tomatoes evenly over the pesto. Sprinkle top with pine nuts. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and serve immediately.
Variation: Serve as a dip. Spread goat cheese in bottom of shallow baking dish. Spread pesto evenly over the top. Scatter tomatoes over top of pesto. Scatter pine nuts over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with crackers.
Tip on pesto: Our favorite pesto recipe is Spinach Basil Pesto. You can use your own favorite recipe, or store bought works okay, too. Just make sure to purchase the fresh, refrigerated pesto, not the jarred stuff.