Lemon-Dijon Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots is an easy and impressive side dish that pairs with most entrées and is perfect for buffets, potlucks or picnics.
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces (about 2 to 3 large) shallots
1 teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and broken into 1– to 2-inch pieces
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Peel shallots, cut in half and thinly slice. Using your hands, break slices into individual pieces. Sauté shallots in butter, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 12 minutes or until very soft.
- Stir in sugar and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place beans on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, tossing to coat. Season with salt. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes or crisp-tender.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add cooked beans and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with caramelized shallots sprinkled over the top.
Make ahead: Shallots can be caramelized up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated. Sauce can be made up to 24 hours ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring shallots and sauce to room temperature before serving.
Variation: Green beans can be steamed instead of roasted.