Indulge your taste buds with these oven-roasted green beans coated with a luscious blend of tangy olive oil, zesty lemon juice, and bold Dijon mustard. The pièce de résistance? Crispy caramelized shallots sprinkled on top, infusing each bite with a deeply rich sweetness and a bit of crunch. These Lemon-Dijon Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots are incredibly versatile, too – serve them hot or at room temperature, making them ideal for a range of occasions, from elegant dinners to casual gatherings.
Table of Contents
- Oven Roasted Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
- Dijon Green Beans Ingredients
- How to Roast Green Beans
- Caramelized Shallots
- Dijon Green Beans Variations and Substitutions
- How to store Lemony Green Beans
- What to serve with this Green Bean Lemon Recipe
- Oven Roasted Green Bean Recipe FAQs
- Lemon Dijon Green Beans
Oven Roasted Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
There are several reasons why you’re going to love this roasted green bean recipe:
- Roasting green beans can work wonders on their texture and flavor, elevating them to new levels of deliciousness. The high heat causes the beans to caramelize and become slightly crispy on the outside, while still retaining a tender and juicy interior. This process also intensifies their natural nutty flavor, making them taste richer and more complex.
- The combination of tender green beans, tangy lemon juice, and bold Dijon mustard creates a flavor explosion in your mouth that’s both refreshing and satisfying.
- The sweet and savory notes of caramelized shallots perfectly complement the flavors of the dish.
- The dish is incredibly versatile and can be served hot or at room temperature, making it perfect for any occasion.
- It’s a quick and easy recipe that requires minimal effort and delivers maximum flavor, so you can spend more time enjoying your meal and less time in the kitchen.
- These green beans not only taste delicious, but also look elegant and enticing on the plate. The vibrant green color of the roasted beans paired with the golden-brown caramelized shallots creates a beautiful contrast, making it a feast for both the taste buds and the eyes.
Dijon Green Beans Ingredients
You only need 4 ingredients to make these oven roasted green beans (details, including quantities, are provided in the recipe card below):
- Fresh green beans
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
How to Roast Green Beans
If you’ve never roasted vegetables before, once you make these green beans you’ll never want to cook vegetables any other way. Here’s all you have to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep beans.
Place prepared green beans on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, tossing to coat. Season with salt.
Roast for 10 to 15 minutes or crisp-tender (thinner beans will take less time to cook).
- Prep sauce.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season beans.
Add lemon sauce to cooked beans and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
When roasting vegetables, don’t crowd the pan. Select a roasting dish – or rimmed sheet pan – that’s large enough to hold the vegetables in one layer without crowding. The heat needs to circulate around the vegetable pieces in order for them to brown and caramelize nicely. If crowded, they will just steam and never get brown.
Caramelizing shallots (or onions) is the process of cooking them slowly in butter or oil over low heat until they turn golden brown and develop a rich, sweet flavor. For this recipe, shallots are thinly sliced and cooked in butter until softened and a light golden color. At this point, you add a small amount of sugar and continue cooking until the shallots are nicely golden brown. During the cooking process, the sugars start to caramelize and create a delicious depth of flavor that is both sweet and savory.
When done, I place the caramelized shallots in a single layer on paper towel and season them with salt and pepper. As they cool, they develop a nice crunchiness that provides added texture. If you prefer to keep them softer, then don’t place on paper towel.
Dijon Green Beans Variations and Substitutions
There are many ways you can customize the seasoning on these roasted green beans to make this dish your own. Here are a few ideas:
- Garnish with chopped toasted cashews, walnuts, pecans or pine nuts in place of the shallots
- Stir in toasted sesame seeds
- Amp up the lemon flavor by including lemon zest
- Add chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives, basil or thyme
How to store Lemony Green Beans
Leftover green beans can be placed in an airtight container and refrigerated. They will last up to 4 days.
What to serve with this Green Bean Lemon Recipe
I like to serve these green beans with:
Oven Roasted Green Bean Recipe FAQs
Rinse the green beans and pat them dry. Trim off ends and any blemishes. I also like to break longer beans (3 – 4 inches) in two.
In a preheated 400 degree oven, it will take 10 to 15 minutes to roast green beans that are spread out in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet. (Thinner beans will cook faster.)
The green beans should be crisp-tender and slightly browned on the outside. The best way to know for sure if they’re done is to taste one!
Yes, you can roast frozen green beans, but make sure they are thawed and patted dry first. Frozen green beans may release more moisture during roasting, so they may not get as crispy.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces (about 2 to 3 large) shallots
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Oven Roasted Green Beans
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and broken into 1– to 2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Peel shallots, cut in half and thinly slice. Using your hands, break slices into individual pieces. Sauté shallots in butter, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 12 minutes or until very soft.
- Stir in sugar and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place beans on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, tossing to coat. Season with salt.
- Roast for 10 to 12 minutes or crisp-tender.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add lemon mixture to cooked beans and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with caramelized shallots sprinkled over the top.
Make ahead: Shallots can be caramelized up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated. Sauce can be made up to 24 hours ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring shallots and sauce to room temperature before serving.
Variation: Green beans can be steamed instead of roasted.
- Category: side dishes, gluten free, easy entertaining
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 145.5 mg
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg