Roasted beets, goat cheese and red onion are arranged decoratively atop crisp butter lettuce and served with an amazing arugula dressing!
1 1/2 cups (about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces) packed baby arugula
1/3 to 1/2 cup (about 4) sliced green onion (white, light green and some dark green part)
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste (in a tube) – see Note below
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 large beets (red or mixture of red and yellow)
9 to 10 cups Boston, Bibb or Butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
Crumbled goat cheese
Sliced red onion
- In a food processor, combine the arugula, green onion, garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, anchovy paste and tarragon; process until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash the beets and trim off the ends. In a large piece of foil, place ?2 beets side by side and fold foil edges together tightly to make a packet; repeat with remaining beets and foil.
- Place packets in oven directly on oven rack with seam side up (this keeps any beet juice from going into your oven) and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until soft in the center when pierced with a fork. Cool. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into wedges.
- Divide lettuce among 6 salad plates. Arrange sliced beets in a circle on top of lettuce; sprinkle with goat cheese and red onion. Drizzle with some of the dressing, passing the rest on the side.
Note on anchovy paste: If you mash anchovy fillets, the flavor will be stronger than mashed anchovy from a tube, as the latter has vinegar and spices added, which make the fish flavor milder. So, I would reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon if you substitute freshly mashed.
Variation: Place lettuce on a large serving platter. Arrange sliced beets decoratively on top of lettuce; sprinkle with goat cheese and red onion. Pass dressing on the side.
Make ahead: The dressing can be prepared and the beets roasted up to 3 days ahead, covered and stored in the refrigerator.