(See Gluten-free adaptation in Notes section below.)
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 4 salmon fillets, around 6 ounces each (see buying tips)
- Fresh asparagus, 4 stalks if thick, 6 to 8 if thin
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 2 large carrots
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a dish large enough to hold the salmon fillets in one layer, whisk together the orange juice, hoisin sauce and chopped garlic. Add salmon, turning it to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours (I like to marinate it for around 45 minutes).
- Discard tough ends of asparagus. Cut thicker stalks in half lengthwise, and then into 2 to 3-inch long matchsticks. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cut zucchini, squash and carrots into 2 to 3-inch long matchsticks. Add to bowl with asparagus.
Tear off a piece of foil or parchment paper, about 16 to 18 inches or long – enough to wrap around the salmon fillet. Brush foil with olive oil (not necessary with parchment paper). Fold foil in half horizontally, then open (the fold is a guide to the middle of the sheet).
- Place 1/4 of vegetables just to one side of the center fold on one sheet of foil/paper. Top with one salmon fillet. Drizzle with some of the marinade. Top with 1/4 of the orange zest; season with salt and pepper. Fold longer side of paper/foil over top of fish. To seal: start at one end and roll up foil/paper, folding it on top of itself as you go around the edge. Repeat three times with remaining vegetables and salmon.
- Place packets in one layer on a large cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes per inch of thickness of fillets, or to desired doneness (140 degrees for medium) – note that they will continue cooking after you remove them from the oven.
- Remove from oven and let packets rest, closed, for 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully open packets and serve.
Gluten free: Use gluten-free hoisin sauce.
Variation: Place prepared foil packets on a preheated grill over medium heat and cook for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Category: quick and easy,
- Method: en papillote, baking
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Serving Size: 1 packet
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 8.6 g
- Sodium: 417 mg
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 39.8 g
- Cholesterol: 87.2 mg