Salmon and Vegetables en Papillote is a scrumptious, impressive and easy way to serve moist fresh salmon filets!
We love cooking fish en papillote, which simply means wrapping it in a parchment paper or foil package and then baking it. For this recipe, fresh salmon fillets are combined with a medley of julienne vegetables (carrots, zucchini, yellow squash and asparagus), hoisin sauce, garlic and orange juice. Wrapped in a foil or parchment paper package, they are then either baked or grilled. When opened up, the vegetables are crisp tender, the salmon moist and tender. Yum!
Salmon fillets are wrapped in a package with a medley of julienned fresh vegetables, then baked or grilled. Quick and easy, impressive and delicious!
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 4 salmon fillets, around 6 ounces each (see buying tips)
- 4 stalks fresh asparagus
- 1/2 medium to large zucchini
- 1/2 medium to large yellow squash
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a dish large enough to hold the salmon fillets in one layer, whisk together the orange juice, hoisin sauce and chopped garlic. Add salmon, turning it to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Discard tough ends of asparagus. Cut thicker stalks in half lengthwise, and then into 2 to 3-inch long matchsticks. Place in a large mixing bowl ans set aside.
- Cut zucchini, squash and carrots into 2 to 3-inch long matchsticks. Add to bowl with asparagus.
- Tear off four 20-inch long pieces of parchment paper or foil. (Note: if you are grilling, you won’t want to use parchment paper.) Mound 1/4 of the vegetables in the center of one piece. Top with one salmon fillet. Repeat process 3 more times.
- Sprinkle top of each fillet with 1/2 teaspoon orange zest.
- Drizzle the marinade over the top of the salmon. Season fish and vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Fold up opposite edges of parchment/foil and fold over to seal.
- Place packets in one layer on a large cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes per inch of thickness of fillets, or to desired doneness.
- Remove from oven and open carefully as the steam will be hot. Transfer salmon and vegetables to a serving platter or individual plates, drizzling cooking liquid from inside the packets over the top.
Variation: Place prepared foil packets on a preheated grill over medium heat and cook for around 15 to 20 minutes.