- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans (also called white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 (5 to 6-ounce) cans white (albacore) tuna in water (or its own juice), drained and broken into chunks (see Note)
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped (2 cups) – see Note
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the lemon juice and mustard. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the drained beans, tuna, tomato and red onion. Gently toss with basil, and dressing to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Note on tuna: I like to use Wild Planet Albacore Tuna which I find at Costco. I’ve seen it on amazon and also at other grocery stores around the country.
Note on tomatoes: when large juicy tomatoes aren’t in season, substitute little grape tomatoes, that are squeezed of their seeds and roughly chopped. A 10 to 11-ounce tub of little tomatoes is around the right amount. (That’s what I used in the photos.)
Variation: instead of chopping 2 large tomatoes, cut in half, seed and core. Fill with tuna-bean mixture.
Make ahead: salad can be prepared earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Category: Main dish salads, gluten free, healthy