Creamy, fruity and fresh, Peach Ice Cream is the perfect cool treat on a warm summer day.
- 4 very ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- Juice from 1/2 lemon, preferably Meyer lemon
- Dash salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Chopped almonds or pecans, for garnish (optional)
- In a nonreactive bowl, combine chopped peaches, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon juice and dash of salt. Cover and place in?the refrigerator.
- In a large saucepan, stir together the whole milk and remaining 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until the sugar melts. Stir in the honey. Remove from heat.
- Place beaten egg yolks in a small bowl and very slowly whisk in about half of the milk mixture. Pour the egg-milk mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk and continue cooking over medium-low to medium heat, stirring, until thickened (don’t let it boil). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, half and half, cream and condensed milk. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir peach mixture into the milk mixture until well blended. Place in ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s directions until firm. Scoop out and serve, garnished with chopped nuts, if using.
Tip: If you accidentally cook the eggs a bit, pour the milk mixture through a strainer to remove any cooked egg before putting it in the refrigerator.