Fresh and creamy, Peach Ice Cream is the perfect cool treat on a warm summer day.
Growing up, my brother Jim and I always looked forward to those summer days when mom would get out the ice cream maker and whip up something wonderful. One of our favorites was her Peach Ice Cream. She’d make it with fresh peaches from Palisade, Colorado, ripe and in season. While we weren’t able to find mom’s recipe before she passed away, our friend Stan Hitchcock, a talented cook from Tennessee, was willing to share his famous peach ice cream recipe with us. It tastes just like mom’s recipe — cool, creamy, fruity, fresh. Simply divine!
Speaking of Stan Hitchcock – he and his wife Denise have a line of unique fresh fruit jams, jellies and butters along with garden ripe salsas, relishes and chow chows. Check out their products, and more of Stan’s recipes, at Classic Country Foods.
Pin Peach Ice Cream recipe now to save for later!Print
- 4 very ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- Juice from 1/2 lemon, preferably Meyer lemon
- Dash salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Chopped almonds or pecans, for garnish (optional)
- In a nonreactive bowl, combine chopped peaches, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon juice and dash of salt. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- In a large saucepan, stir together the whole milk and remaining 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until the sugar melts. Stir in the honey. Remove from heat.
- Place beaten egg yolks in a small bowl and very slowly whisk in about half of the milk mixture. Pour the egg-milk mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk and continue cooking over medium-low to medium heat, stirring, until thickened (don’t let it boil). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, half and half, cream and condensed milk.
- Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir peach mixture into the milk mixture until well blended. Place in ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s directions until firm. Scoop out and serve, garnished with chopped nuts, if using.
Tip: If you accidentally cook the eggs a bit, pour the milk mixture through a strainer to remove any cooked egg before putting it in the refrigerator.
- Category: desserts, make ahead, ice cream, gluten free