A basic white sauce is one of the most versatile recipes in cooking. A white sauce can be transformed in a number of ways with various cheeses, wines and spices to enhance a dish. However, the end result is highly dependent on getting the basic recipe right. Here’s a basic recipe with tips for getting a smooth and delicious sauce. The recipe takes about 15 minutes from beginning to end. This recipe yields a white sauce with medium consistency.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat.
- Blend 2 tablespoons of flour into the melted butter.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring for three minutes. This will get rid of the floury or pasty taste.
- Slowly, add 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly (you can also use light stock, cream or a combination of the two in place of the milk).
- Continue cooking slowly until smooth and thickened.
Note that the butter and flour may be doubled with the result being a thicker sauce or halved for a thinner sauce.