Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes are a colorful and flavorful way to start the day!
- 1 cup cake flour (see Note)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil (olive or vegetable)
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (or turn on warming oven if you have one!).
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flours, wheat germ, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until blended. Fold in blueberries. Set aside.
- Let the batter sit while an oiled nonstick skillet or griddle heats to medium-high (375 degrees). Once hot, lightly oil again.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto hot skillet/griddle. When bubbles begin to burst on first side and the pancakes don’t stick to the pan when you try to lift them with a spatula (after around 3 to 4 minutes), flip pancakes over and continue cooking another 3 to 4 minutes, or until they don’t stick, are golden brown and cooked through. Put in the oven to keep warm. Re-grease the pan if needed, and repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with fresh fruit and maple syrup.
If you don’t have cake flour, substitute 1 cup all purpose flour (white or whole wheat).