I am always looking for new, creative breakfast ideas using eggs to make for my husband Robert, instead of the same ol’ scrambled eggs. Living in Colorado, with a father who grew up in Arizona, my palate tends to gravitate toward Mexican inspired dishes. One morning I created these tostadas, which come together in a snap, are healthy, very colorful, delicious – and a new favorite of Robert’s!
- Yield: 2 (can easily be doubled or tripled) 1x
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (see Note below)
- 2 corn tortillas
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 small seeded, chopped tomato
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese, sour cream and chipotle puree. Set aside.
- Spray a small nonstick skillet with olive oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the tortillas until crisp, around 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Set cooked tortillas on paper towels to drain.
- Spray the pan again with olive oil and place over medium heat. Cook egg whites until set. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the tortillas. Top with eggs, spinach and chopped tomato. Serve immediately.
I put the whole can in a small food processor and blend until pureed. Can be kept in the refrigerator indefinitely.