Earthy, flavorful and colorful, Chicken, Artichoke Hearts, Quinoa and Brown Rice Salad is easy to prepare and oh, so delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (see Note)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled brown rice (see Note)
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken (I like to use roasted chicken)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup drained, chopped pimientos
- 1 large (13 ounce) jar roasted artichoke hearts packed in olive oil, or 2 jars (6 ounce) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Place the quinoa and rice in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the cooked chicken, celery, green onions, olives and pimientos.
- Drain the artichoke hearts, reserving marinade, and chop. Add chopped artichoke hearts to rice mixture.
- Whisk together 1/3 cup of reserved marinade, curry powder and mayonnaise (don’t worry if it looks a bit funky, just keep whisking until combined). Stir into rice; season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper. Add more of the reserved marinade if too dry.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to one day. Adjust salt, pepper and curry powder as needed before serving.
Note: I like to use 2 (8.5 ounce) packages instant quinoa and brown rice mix, that require cooking in the microwave for around 90 seconds. There are various brands on the market and they are available at most grocery stores.( I use “Seeds of Change” organic with garlic.) Each package makes around 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa-rice mixture.