Liptauer Cheese Spread is creamy, cheesy, smoky, tangy and pungent – all at the same time! Easy to prepare with readily available ingredients, this delicious spread is served with crackers, pretzel chips and/or celery sticks.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon beer
- 1 1/2 heaping teaspoons grated onion
- 1 large anchovy, coarsely chopped (or 3/4 teaspoon anchovy paste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika, preferably Hungarian
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Raincoast Crisps, pretzel chips, multigrain crackers, celery sticks – for serving
- Combine the cream cheese, goat cheese, butter and sour cream in the bowl of a food processor. Process just until combined.
- Add the capers, beer, onion, anchovy, paprika and dry mustard and process until combined. Stir in caraway seeds. Season to taste with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Pack in to a crock, mold, or serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or longer), allowing the flavors to blend. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Make ahead: spread can be prepared up to 3 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Gluten free: serve with gluten free crackers and celery sticks.