This is an easy, unique and delicious addition to a cocktail buffet. The Prosciutto, dates and cheese pair perfectly with the balsamic dipping sauce.Print
- 16 thin slices of Prosciutto
- 16 Medjool dates (around 12 ounces)
- 4 ounces creamy cheese (like Brie, or La Tur – see note below)
- 16 slivered almonds, toasted
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Slice the prosciutto pieces in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- Make a slit lengthwise in the side of each date. Gently remove the pits. Cut the cheese into small pieces that will fit inside the dates. Place 1 slivered almond inside each date. Wrap a basil leaf around each cheese piece and place inside the dates. Close the date around the cheese filling. Wrap a piece a piece of Prosciutto around the date. Cut the date in half cross-wise. Secure each half with a toothpick. Set aside.
- Place the vinegar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place the vinegar in a small dish; surround with the date pieces.
La Tur is a delicious, soft, creamy Italian cheese that can be found at many Whole Foods and specialty cheese stores.
Make ahead: Dates can be stuffed earlier in the day, covered and kept at room temperature.