A delicious salad, most of which can be prepared ahead. This recipe is very versatile in that you can add additional ingredients including chopped bacon, roasted almonds or pine nuts to suit your fancy.Print
Smoked Turkey, Mushroom and Hearts of Palm Salad
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons chopped garlic, divided
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 jars (5 ounce) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and marinade reserved
- 3 cups chopped hearts of palm, drained, tough fibers removed (around 15–16 ounces total)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 hard boiled eggs, shelled and chopped (optional)
- 1 3/4 pounds smoked turkey, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- n a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon garlic. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons garlic, thyme, basil and red pepper flakes and sauté 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, vinegar, salt, pepper and 6 tablespoons of the reserved artichoke marinade and stir well. Cover and cook for 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Transfer mushroom mixture to large mixing bowl. Chop artichoke hearts and add to mushroom mixture along with hearts of palm. Toss to mix and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand for at least 1 hour at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Place mushroom mixture in a colander and drain thoroughly. Return to mixing bowl and stir in chives, hard boiled eggs, turkey and mayonnaise mixture. Toss well; adjust seasonings as needed. Serve over lettuce.
Optional presentation (see photo): For a more formal presentation, stir together the turkey, egg, 1/2 of the chives and 1/2 of the mayonnaise. Mix remainder of chives and mayonnaise into the mushrooms. On each serving plate, place a mound of the mushroom mixture. Top with a mound of the turkey mixture. Top with chopped lettuce.
Make ahead: The salad can be made up to the point of letting it stand at room temperature, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before continuing.