A quick and easy, crowd-pleasing dish that can be prepared two different ways, this Artichoke, Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Appetizer is the perfect addition to your next party menu!
Since I was a little girl, I have loved artichokes. In fact, I love them just about any way they can be prepared – steamed, broiled, fried, baked in a casserole – or stirred into a scrumptious mayo mixture, like this Artichoke, Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Appetizer. My favorite way to serve this dish is as small wedges on pita bread. These little triangles are bursting with flavor – without calling for a lot of ingredients, just the right, super flavorful ingredients. A total of only seven, in fact!
Artichoke hearts, feta, sun-dried tomatoes, mayonnaise, garlic and a bit of Tabasco are blended together, spread on pita rounds, then cut into triangles and baked until bubbly and brown. YUM! I like to add a bit of chopped green onion and pine nuts to finish them off.
If you are pressed for time, just spoon the artichoke mixture into a shallow baking dish and bake until bubbly hot; serve with pita chips on the side.
So, besides the artichokes, why do I love these little bites? Well,
1. They are super delicious!
2. They are quick and easy to prepare.
3. They are a two-bite appetizer, which I find my guests at larger parties prefer.
4. Spread can also be served as a dip, making it even quicker and easier to prepare – and this serving method works well with a smaller gathering (6 to 8 people).
5. The spread can be made ahead of time, and either refrigerated or frozen.
Go ahead and give them a try – you won’t be sorry!
Artichoke, Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Appetizer
- Yield: Makes 96 triangles; dip serves 10 to 12 1x
- Category: appetizers, easy entertaining
1 (14-ounce) artichoke hearts in water, drained, patted dry and chopped
6 ounces feta cheese crumbles (break up larger pieces)
4 ounces oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained, patted dry and chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
A few dashes Tabasco sauce
6 large pita rounds (I like Falafel King brand) – if making triangles
Chopped green onion, for garnish (optional)
Toasted pine nuts, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the artichoke hearts, cheese, tomatoes, mayonnaise, garlic and Tabasco. Set aside.
To make triangles:
- Split each pita horizontally into 2 rounds. Spread with artichoke mixture.
- Cut each round into 8 pieces. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until filling is bubbly hot and crust is starting to brown.
- Garnish with chopped onion and pine nuts (if using) and serve.
To make dip:
- Spoon artichoke mixture in a shallow greased 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly hot. Serve with pita chips.
Make ahead: artichoke mixture can be made up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. It can also be frozen for up to 1 month.