This is the best banana bread recipe we have found – the secret is the buttermilk that makes it very moist and flavorful.
Did you know that you can freeze bananas? Yes, you can! If they are very ripe/dark brown and you don’t have time to make this banana bread, just throw the bananas in the freezer. Then, when you are ready to make the bread, just grab them out of the freezer about 20 minutes before you need them. So easy!
This Banana Bread calls for your typical bread ingredients like eggs, vanilla and flour but the real secret is the buttermilk!
2 large ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan, or 3 small loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to the banana mixture all at once and stir just until blended. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 50 to 60 minutes if in 1 large pan, or for around 35 to 40 minutes if in small loaf pans, until the top is golden brown and splits slightly.
- Cool the bread in the pan 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
According to mom, this recipe doesn’t double well.
High altitude: Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 1/8 teaspoon vanilla.