Mom loved blonde brownies, mostly because they taste like butterscotch, one of her favorite flavors. Here’s a quick and easy recipe for blonde (butterscotch-like) brownies from her recipe box, one you’re sure to enjoy!
- Yield: 4 dozen 1x
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using the whisk attachment of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition; beat in the vanilla.
- Add flour mixture, beating just until blended (do not overmix).
- Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan (batter will be very thick) and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting into 1-inch squares.
High altitude adjustment: Reduce baking powder by 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon. Brownies may need another 5 to 10 minutes cooking time.