Lemon and Blueberry is a classic flavor combination, and you’ll know why after tasting our Blueberry Lemon Muffins!
I have always loved muffins. They are easy to prepare, and are a great accompaniment to most brunch dishes and many main dish salads as well. Plus, they can be made ahead and frozen, making them a perfect addition to an entertaining menu. These Blueberry Lemon Muffins, which are from our cookbook A Well-Seasoned Kitchen®, are not only moist and delicious, they are pretty too!
Check out my Muffin Baking Tips for my recommendations on how to make your muffins come out perfect every time, as well as how to deal with muffins that stick in the pan.
Pin it now to save for later!
Super moist Lemon Blueberry Muffins are are easy to prepare, and are a great accompaniment to most brunch dishes and many main dish salads as well. Plus, they can be made ahead and frozen, making them a perfect addition to an entertaining menu!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly, divided
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, but the latter needs to be thawed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 16 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. (Fill empty cups halfway with water so the pan doesn’t burn.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg; whisk in the milk and 1/2 cup of the melted butter. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients just until mixed (batter will be lumpy). Gently fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full (I like to use a large spring-loaded ice cream scoop). Bake for 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- While the muffins are baking, make the topping: Combine the remaining 1/4 cup melted butter and the lemon juice. Put in a shallow dish. Put remaining 1/2 cup sugar in another shallow dish.
- When the muffins are slightly cooled, remove from the pan and dunk the tops into the lemon-butter mixture, then into sugar. Place on a wire rack to cool completely
High altitude: no adjustments are necessary.