Warm, inviting and velvety smooth, Creamy Ginger Carrot Soup is rich in flavor and light in texture. Sweet carrots, yellow onion, garlic and celery form the base in this luscious soup and are enhanced with the addition of fresh ginger and a touch of sherry. Underlying it all is a subtle smoky, earthy tone from a secret ingredient – chipotle!
- 1 tablespoon salted butter (can also use unsalted – add a pinch of salt)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle-flavored or plain olive oil – see Note
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons grated or chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery, reserving any leaves for garnish
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup regular (or skim) evaporated milk – see Note
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (or more to taste)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: celery leaves
- In a large stockpot, melt butter with the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in ginger, garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Stir in chicken stock and water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, uncover and cool.
- Purée with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in batches; purée until smooth.
- Return soup to pan, if necessary, and stir in milk and sherry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reheat over medium-low heat. Serve hot or warm. Garnish each serving with celery leaves, if desired.
Note on olive oil: If using plain olive oil, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon puréed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Note on milk: can also use half and half or coconut cream.
Make ahead: Soup can be made up 4 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.
Vegan variation: omit butter and double olive oil, use vegetable broth and coconut cream.
Gluten free: use gluten free broth.
Keywords: Puréed vegetable soup, carrots, ginger