Discover a collection of more exclusive recipes in both of Lee's books,
A Well-Seasoned Kitchen and Fresh Tastes. Order Now (Free Standard Shipping)
A super easy to prepare Chicken, Artichoke Hearts, Quinoa and Brown Rice Salad that is super yummy!
I have to admit, I love quinoa. While most people think it’s a grain, it’s actually a seed! And they grow it right here in Colorado (among other places). It has a nutty flavor that adds a bit of crunch to this salad. I like the combination of quinoa and brown rice together – it’s sort of earthy and blends perfectly with the chicken, artichokes, black olives, celery and pimiento. And, best of all, you can reduce the prep time by using 2 packages of instant quinoa and brown rice mix (see note below)! I recommend using jarred roasted artichoke hearts if you can find them; it works equally well with marinated artichoke hearts as well. Enjoy!
- 1½ cups cooked and cooled quinoa (see Note)
- 1½ cups cooked and cooled brown rice (see Note)
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken (I like to use roasted chicken)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- ⅓ cup drained, chopped pimientos
- 1 large (13 ounce) jar roasted artichoke hearts packed in olive oil, or 2 jars (6 ounce) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Place the quinoa and rice in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the cooked chicken, celery, green onions, olives and pimientos.
- Drain the artichoke hearts, reserving marinade, and chop. Add chopped artichoke hearts to rice mixture.
- Whisk together ⅓ cup of reserved marinade, curry powder and mayonnaise (don’t worry if it looks a bit funky, just keep whisking until combined). Stir into rice; season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper. Add more of the reserved marinade if too dry.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to one day. Adjust salt, pepper and curry powder as needed before serving.