Curried Chicken Bites pack a super-flavorful mixture of both sweet (mango chutney) and savory (chicken, onions, almonds) flavors into bright red cherry tomatoes. the result is a scrumptious two-bite appetizer that’s sure to please!
Okay, so I love cooking with curry, as did my mom. If you own either of my cookbooks (A Well-Seasoned Kitchen® or Fresh Tastes) you already know this, because several of my recipes include curry! I especially like to pair it with chicken – I even add a bit of curry into my Chicken Pot Pie recipe. These Curried Chicken Bites are another favorite curry + chicken combo.
For the filling, traditional flavors found in many curry dishes – chicken, mango chutney, green onion and almonds – are blended together with cream cheese and mayonnaise. Then, the filling is spooned into hollowed out tomatoes. That’s it! So easy. The resulting Bites are colorful, a bit spicy (depending on how much curry powder you use), a bit earthy, and super flavorful.
Note: you can also prepare the Curried Chicken Bites without tomatoes, using instead toasted coconut or phyllo cups (see Variations below).
Pin it now to save for later!
Curried Chicken Bites are colorful, a bit spicy (depending on how much curry powder you use), a bit earthy, and super flavorful. They are easy to prepare, make ahead two-bite appetizers that are sure to please!
- 24 to 36 cherry tomatoes – number needed depends on size of tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large green onion, finely chopped (white, light green and some of the dark green part), plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney, chopping any large pieces of mango
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or more, depending on how strong your curry powder is)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Cut the non-stem ends off the tomatoes. Remove core and seeds (I use a grapefruit spoon or the small end of a melon baller). Place tomatoes upside down on paper towels to drain.
- Place the chicken, almonds, cream cheese, onion, mayonnaise, chutney, curry powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse just until blended.
- Lightly season prepared tomatoes with salt and pepper. Spoon in the chicken mixture. Garnish with finely chopped green onion. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend.
Make ahead: Filling can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated, or up to 1 month ahead and frozen.
?Variation with toasted coconut: Prepare chicken filling as above. Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in toasted coconut (place 1/2 cup shredded coconut on a large rimmed cookie sheet and bake until lightly toasted, around 7 to 10 minutes. Cool.)
Variation with filo cups: Prepare chicken filling as above. Toast 24 to 36 purchased filo cups per package directions and fill.