Christmas Morning Eggs are quick and easy to prepare – and oh, so scrumptious! I can’t recall a Christmas morning without them.
The Clayton family has been eating these fabulous baked eggs on Christmas morning since my brother Jim and I were little kids. I always joke and say my mom invented this recipe to get me to eat eggs. When I was young, I didn’t like breakfast much – except for these flavorful eggs, which I loved. Mom also liked baking them in individual dishes, because she liked her eggs runny, and I like mine well done. So, she could leave my egg in the oven longer, and everyone was happy!
Christmas Morning Eggs are super easy to prepare, and can even be put together the night before. Simply spread shredded Cheddar cheese in individual ramekins. Make a well in the middle and fill with an egg. Top with spoonfuls of green chiles and sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Pop in the oven to bake – and presto! you have a beautiful, flavorful breakfast everyone will love. Easy enough for every day, elegant enough for special occasions and entertaining!
Note that you can bake the eggs in one large dish as well.
Pin it now to save for later –
Christmas Morning (Baked) Eggs
Christmas Morning Eggs are quick and easy to prepare – and oh, so scrumptious! I can’t recall a Christmas morning without them. Eggs are baked in a nest of Cheddar cheese, along with green chiles and sour cream. Can be prepared ahead of time, and also baked in one large dish!
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast and brunch, gluten free, make ahead
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (or more to taste)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup canned chopped green chiles
- 1 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously butter 8 large ramekins or other individual baking dishes.
- Spread 1/4 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese on the bottom of each prepared ramekin. Make a well in the middle and crack an egg into the well.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of green chiles around the egg.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of sour cream on top of the green chiles. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for around 10 to 12 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to desired doneness (less time if you like your eggs runny, more if you like them well done).
- Let eggs sit for a minute or two before serving – note that they will keep cooking after removing from oven.
Make ahead: Eggs can be prepared but not baked, covered and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Variation: Spread the cheese evenly in a 7 by 11-inch baking dish. Make 8 wells in the cheese, spaced evenly. Place an egg in each well. Continue as above. Increase baking time by around 5 minutes.