Christmas Morning Eggs are quick and easy to prepare – and oh, so scrumptious! I can’t recall a Christmas morning without them. Eggs are baked in a nest of Cheddar cheese, along with green chiles and sour cream. Can be prepared ahead of time, and also baked in one large dish!
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (or more to taste)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup canned chopped green chiles
- 1 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously butter 8 large ramekins or other individual baking dishes.
- Spread 1/4 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese on the bottom of each prepared ramekin. Make a well in the middle and crack an egg into the well.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of green chiles around the egg.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of sour cream on top of the green chiles. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for around 10 to 12 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to desired doneness (less time if you like your eggs runny, more if you like them well done).
- Let eggs sit for a minute or two before serving – note that they will keep cooking after removing from oven.
Make ahead: Eggs can be prepared but not baked, covered and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Variation: Spread the cheese evenly in a 7 by 11-inch baking dish. Make 8 wells in the cheese, spaced evenly. Place an egg in each well. Continue as above. Increase baking time by around 5 minutes.