Quick and easy to prepare, Green Chile Breakfast Burritos are healthy, too – and will add a bit of spice to your morning meal!
Back in the ‘80s and early ‘90s there was a fabulous restaurant in Denver called The Mocha Café. I loved going there for breakfast or brunch, and my favorite dish was their Green Chile Burrito. Fluffy scrambled eggs with sausage rolled in a tortilla, topped with enchilada sauce and grated cheese. Yum! Since I’d been craving it for years, one morning I decided to create my own, healthy version of this delectable egg dish, using turkey sausage and egg whites. Green Chile Breakfast Burritos come together in minutes, so no need to wait for the weekend to indulge!
Pin it now to save for later –
Quick and easy to prepare, Green Chile Breakfast Burritos are healthy, too – and will add a bit of spice to your morning meal! Turkey sausage and green onion are combined with fluffy scrambled egg whites inside a flour tortilla, and topped with green chile enchilada sauce and grated cheese.
- 4 turkey sausage links
- 2 to 4 green onions (depending on size), chopped (white, light and some of the dark green portion)
- 6 egg whites
- 1 (10 ounce) can green chile enchilada sauce (or 1 1/2 cups home-made if you have it)
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar-Jack cheese
- Slice the sausage and place in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook until beginning to brown.
- Add green onions to the sausage. Cook until onions begin to soften and sausage is fully browned.
- Add egg whites and cook, stirring occasionally, until fully cooked.
- While the eggs are cooking, place the green chile sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave tortillas for 10 to 15 seconds, just until warm. Divide egg mixture evenly between tortillas and roll up. Place burrito seam side down on a dinner plate. Top with generous amount of green chile sauce; sprinkle with grated cheese and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.