I love these Poached Eggs in Italian Tomato Sauce because they are full of flavor and take just minutes to put together in the morning.
First, you prepare a quick sauce of diced tomatoes, garlic and herbs in a skillet. The you carefully place a few whole eggs into the sauce, and poach them. You add a few sprinkels of tangy grated Parmesan cheese at the end and, presto!, you have a scrumptious breakfast ready to serve.
You can change up the sauce ingredients to your liking. Sometimes I add in sun-dried tomatoes. Another idea came from a fellow in one of my cooking classes, who suggested making the tomato sauce with Mexican seasonings – using green chiles, cumin and cilantro. I thought that was a great idea!
Pin it now to save for later –
Baked Eggs in Italian Tomato Sauce is a quick and easy breakfast recipe created by my mom years ago. Eggs are poached in a quick sauce of diced tomatoes, garlic and herbs, then topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Switch up the flavors and use Mexican diced tomatoes!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (14 ounce) organic diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 4 large or extra large eggs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tomatoes with their juice, garlic, parsley and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and boil for 3 to 4 minutes, softening the tomatoes and reducing the sauce a bit. Stir in red pepper flakes.
- Make four hollowed-out spaces and put one egg in each space. Cover and cook until eggs are done they way you like them.
- Place eggs and sauce on plates, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt, fresh ground pepper, and chopped parsley and serve.