Discover a collection of more exclusive recipes in both of Lee's books,
A Well-Seasoned Kitchen and Fresh Tastes. Order Now (Free Standard Shipping)
The recipe for these delectable Green Pea, Basil and Mint Crostini came to me from good friend Missy Glauch. Peas, basil, mint, jalapeño pepper, ricotta cheese and olive oil are quickly blended together in a food processor or blender. After seasoning with salt and white pepper, this vibrantly green pesto-like mixture is spread on toasted slices of sourdough or ciabatta bread. Simply garnish each crostini with a small basil leaf and serve – what could be easier! So fresh and light – and healthy too!
Serves: 8 to 10
- 1½ cups (around 8 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 sourdough baguette or ciabatta bread
- In a food processor combine the peas, jalapeno pepper, basil, mint, olive oil and ricotta cheese. Process until creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to 8 hours, to allow the flavors to blend.
- Cut baguette into ¼-inch slices, place on a baking sheet and spray or brush with olive oil. Broil on top shelf of oven until bread is light golden-brown in color, approximately 45 seconds to minute. Turn slices over and repeat. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- To assemble, spread around 1 tablespoon of the pea mixture on each crostini. Top with a small basil leaf – tear larger leaves in two.