Green Pea, Basil and Mint Crostini is a fresh, light, flavorful and unusual make ahead appetizer.
This recipe for these delectable Green Pea, Basil and Mint Crostini came to me from good friend Missy Glauch. Peas, basil, mint, jalapeño pepper, ricotta cheese and olive oil are quickly blended together in a food processor or blender. After seasoning with salt and white pepper, this vibrantly green pesto-like mixture is spread on toasted slices of sourdough or ciabatta bread. Simply garnish each crostini with a small basil leaf and serve – what could be easier! So fresh and light – and healthy too!
Pin it now to save for later –
Green Pea, Basil and Mint Crostini is a fresh, light, flavorful, make ahead appetizer. Peas, basil, mint, jalapeño pepper, ricotta cheese and olive oil are blended together, then spread on toasted slices of sourdough or ciabatta bread and garnished with basil. So fresh and light – and healthy too! Can be made up to 24 hours ahead.
- 1 1/2 cups (around 8 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 sourdough baguette or ciabatta bread
- In a food processor combine the peas, jalapeno pepper, basil, mint, olive oil and ricotta cheese. Process until creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to 8 hours, to allow the flavors to blend.
- Cut baguette into 1/4-inch slices, place on a baking sheet and spray or brush with olive oil. Broil on top shelf of oven until bread is light golden-brown in color, approximately 45 seconds to minute. Turn slices over and repeat. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- To assemble, spread around 1 tablespoon of the pea mixture on each crostini. Top with a small basil leaf – tear larger leaves in two.
Make ahead: Crostini can be made up to 24 hours ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Green pea mixture can be prepared earlier in the day, covered and stored in the refrigerator.