Popovers are a light, flavorful and impressive side dish, but require using a special pan. Not these popovers! Mom’s delicious Italian Popovers can be baked in muffin tins.
Another scrumptious recipe from mom’s files! Prosciutto, Fontina cheese and green onion are baked into puffy popovers — yum! Popovers can be a bit intimidating and typically require a special pan. Leave it to mom to find a way to simplify the process while maintaining all the flavor. How? Bake them in muffin tins! While they don’t get as tall as when made in a popover pan, they are still light and delicious.
The notes on her recipe card said, “serve with hearty soups.” I think these popovers are wonderful with most any soup or pasta. I often serve them with my Butternut Squash Soup and Broccoli, Mushroom, Spinach and Cheese Pasta. Robert insists on eating them with butter; they’re so moist I think they are good just plain!
Pin it now to save for later –
Popovers are a light, flavorful and impressive side dish, but require a special pan. Not these popovers! Mom’s delicious Italian Popovers can be baked in in muffin tins.
- Yield: 8 popovers 1x
- Category: Side dishes, easy entertaining
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 ounces prosciutto, chopped
1/2 cup (2 ounces) packed shredded Fontina cheese
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heavily butter 8 (2- to 2 1/2-inches wide) popover or muffin cups.
- In a blender, mix together the eggs, flour, milk and salt.
- Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in prosciutto, cheese and onion. Immediately pour batter evenly into prepared cups — they will be very full. I like to use a 1/2-cup measure to make sure I put some of the cheese and prosciutto in each cup. Fill any empty muffin cups halfway with water to prevent burning.
- Bake about 35 to 40 minutes or until popovers are golden brown and firm to the touch. Let popovers sit for a minute or two in the pan before removing. Serve hot.
Make ahead: Popovers can be baked earlier in the day, cooled and covered on the kitchen counter. Reheat before serving.