Onion Parmesan Toasts are the perfect, from-your-pantry/refrigerator appetizer to serve at your next gathering!
These little one-bite appetizers are the perfect starter for almost any dinner. Super easy to prepare, they use ingredients that you are likely to have on hand – cream cheese, butter, mayonnaise, green onions, Parmesan cheese, Tabasco sauce and Melba round crackers. They are milder in flavor than other similar recipes that call for sweet onion and lots of mayo.
There are three keys to making this recipe the best it can be:
1) plenty of salt,
2) good quality Parmesan cheese, and
3) lots of cheese-onion mixture on each Melba round.
Yum Yum! Pin it now to save for later:
Onion Parmesan Toasts are the perfect, from-your-pantry/frig appetizer to serve at your next gathering!
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup coarsely chopped green onions, white, light green and some of the dark green part (around 4 large)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
2 boxes (5.25 ounce) Melba rounds crackers (see Note)
Paprika, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the cream cheese and butter into slices and place in a food processor along with the mayonnaise, green onions and Parmesan cheese. Process until well mixed and the onions are finely chopped. Season to taste with Tabasco and kosher salt (see Note below on salt).
- Generously spread cheese mixture on melba rounds. Leave a small border around the edges, as the cheese spreads a bit as it heats. Place rounds on prepared cookie sheet and bake until bubbly and lightly browned, around 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool a bit, sprinkle with paprika and serve.
Note on melba rounds: You can substitute sliced whole wheat or white bread. Cut 1 1/2 to 2-inch rounds out of bread slices and lightly toast.
Note on salt: Adding enough salt is key to the flavor in this dish. If in doubt, add a pinch more than you think you need.